11. Scales for weight weenies: For those cyclists concerned, very concerned, with the weight of everything, these scales are used for bikes and bike parts. Two of the companies making tabletop scales include Feedback Sports and Park Tool. Several companies make inexpensive hanging digital scales. Topeak has the combined scale and bike stand system (putting this option into the next category). -Anonymous II, don't want to ruin the surprise
GIFTS FROM $51 to $500, From Least to Most Expensive
2. Lightweight vest: Perfect for layering when the mornings are cool, but temperatures will increase as the ride progresses. I want a vest that keeps my core warm, but doesn't cause me to overheat. I want it packable too. My wife got me the ELITE Barrier Vest by Pearl Izumi and it's great. -Theo Mioduski
3. Flexible cable and housing system: I found Nokon is the best option you can have for road riding because it's flexible and makes for the most accurate shifting. If you ride cross, Gore has the best sealed system. -Carl Ciacci
4. Framed print: What cyclist wouldn't enjoy a print from famed photographer Graham Watson? It goes in the "want" rather than "need" category, which makes it the perfect gift. I'd love one of these for my office. -Glenn Ackerson
5. Personal coach: Giving your cyclist the gift of a personal coach is a real treat. Prices vary on this and certain options can bump it into the next category; but the equipment is nothing without a great engine. -Wendy Mader
GIFTS OVER $500
1. Racing wheels: It would be great to have a nice set of Zipp racing wheels. -Nicole Callan
2. Wind tunnel test: Get every speed advantage possible. Locations vary for this. Do an internet search titled "bicycle wind tunnel testing" to find a tunnel near you. -Dianna Hassel
3. Bike trip to the Tour de France: I saw your blog on your trip to France a couple of years ago. I'm looking at the logistics of doing this for my cyclist. -Anonymous III, don't want to ruin the surprise
4. New bike: Your favorite cyclist always has bike lust.
Look for more gift ideas in my blog in the upcoming weeks. I received more great gift ideas for cyclists than I could run in a single column, so I'll continue the gift idea theme on the blog.
Gale Bernhardt was the USA Triathlon team coach at the 2003 Pan American Games and 2004 Athens Olympics. Her first Olympic experience was as a personal cycling coach at the 2000 Games in Sydney. She currently serves as one of the World Cup coaches for the International Triathlon Union's Sport Development Team. Thousands of athletes have had successful training and racing experiences using Gale's pre-built, easy-to-follow cycling and triathlon training plans. Let Gale and Active Trainer help you succeed.