Wild Alaskan Salmon With Pineapple-Kiwi Relish
- 4 6-ounce wild Alaskan salmon fillets (about one-inch thick)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon black or white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine (a Chinese cooking wine), or a fruity, acidic white wine
- cooking spray
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into large cubes
- 1/2 cup cubed, peeled kiwi
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- juice and zest of 2 small limes
- handful chopped fresh cilantro
- pinch of salt
To prepare the salmon, combine all ingredients in a resealable bag, and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
Heat a cast-iron skillet, griddle pan or grill to medium-high heat, and spray with cooking spray. Remove fish from marinade, and discard plastic bag with marinade. Cook fish for 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until fish flakes easily in the middle when tested with a fork.
While the fish is cooking, combine the relish ingredients in a bowl. Mix well, and serve with salmon. Serves four.